Google Webmaster Central

Thursday, April 29, 2010

New Challenges

From experience I know that with kids once you get used to something it will inevitably change and yet somehow it stills manages to surprise me when it does.

Lizzie turns three in June and up until recently she hasn't really been interested in opening doors.  The door knobs in our house are old and often loose so they are not the easiest to use if you are just a wee one.  However in the last few days this has suddenly changed.  Lizzie is now great at opening doors!  I've been prepared for this and have been storing those plastic covers for doorknobs anticipating issues in the middle of the night.

So far we haven't had that problem but two mornings in a row now she has gotten out of bed (earlier than usual) and wandered in to our bedroom while I was getting the twins dressed.  The first morning she heard Emily crying (she was just sitting on the floor, no idea why she was so upset) and brought a book in to read to her.  It was very cute.  This morning I was getting Alex dressed so when I was done we all went downstairs for breakfast.  Again, no problems just something new to get used to.

Then a little later I needed to run upstairs to get Emily a new spare outfit for daycare.  I had Emily with me and left Lizzie and Alex downstairs.  We have two sets of stairs in our house, one is blocked off with a gate and another blocked by a door.  I swear I was only up there for about two minutes when I heard Lizzie at the top of the stairs.  She was laying on the floor and looking down the steps telling Alex to come upstairs and play with her.  He was happy as a clam as he negotiated his way up the wooden steps all by himself. 

I pretty much had a heart attack.  If Lizzie starts using the word "crap" it will no big surprise.  I quickly scooped up Alex and brought the babies downstairs.  Alex was upset that I ruined his good time and Lizzie was upset that she couldn't play with him in her room.  I explained to Lizzie that Alex can't go up the stairs unless mommy or daddy is with him but I think we need to go to the next level of babyproofing!  I can only imagine what it is going to be like when they start walking!

No comments: