Google Webmaster Central

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

1st Birthday Cake

The twins had their first birthday on April 18th.  We had a small party for them with friends and family.  My efforts for the party went in to the cake so I thought I'd show you all what went in to the cake.

I used the sports ball cake pan from Wilton.  Each half was coated with Wilton Cake Release.

I made three different kid of cakes, dark chocolate fudge, red velvet and french vanilla.

Each half baked on a pedestal.  Then I sliced off the top part that had risen above the top of the pan.

Mmmm...French Vanilla...this is making me hungry.

Thanks to the cake release all the halves came out of the pan with no issues.

I made the cake a few days in advance and froze them until the day of the party.

I cut off the bottom of each cake then scooped out part of the middle.  I filled the red velvet with cream cheese frosting, the french vanilla with chocolate mousse and the chocolate with peanut butter filling.

Before applying the frosting you need to put a crumb coat on the cake.  This is a thin layer of frosting that holds the crumbs in.  That way the crumbs won't pollute the main frosting.

I used a buttercream frosting to cover the cakes.

Each cake was covered is a series of individually applied dots of frosting.

The cake in progress.

Frosting is done, now it is time to apply the final decorations.

The head was decorated with jelly beans and licorice strings.  The antennae were made from floral wire covered in lilac ribbon.  The tips of the antennae are jelly beans.  The legs are mini Charleston Chews.


Happy 1st Birthday Alex and Emily!  May there be many fun cakes to come!

4 comments:

One Blessed Momma! said...

Wow, looks like a lot of work, but so worth it. Super cute!! You did a great job!!

Carrie27 said...

I would totally hire you to make all of my kids' cakes.

Lara said...

Wow! How fun is that??!
I am planning to attempt my first cake decorating project next weekend... we'll see how it goes. I've always just gone to the store to buy a cake in the past ;)

Debi said...

OMG, amazing looking cake! Wish I had thought of this for my son's 1st! But, there will be many more birthdays. If only I can convince him that he really really loves caterpillars! haha.