Google Webmaster Central

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Show and Tell

I thought I might start participating in a weekly bloggers Show and Tell! Along with talking about infertility and being a working mom, I thought this might be a good way for people to get to know me.

This week I will start with a town in Italy called Gerace. It is down in the south in the region of Calabria. My great-grandfather emigrated from Gerace to South Bend, Indiana in the early 1900s where he worked as a pastry chef in a hotel. This is also where he met my great-grandmother who was a Hungarian immigrant.



Before my husband and I moved back to the US from England we went on a two week trip to Italy. One of the places we visited was Gerace. I had no idea what to expect and was extremely pleased to find a beatiful hill town worthy of a visit.



We ended up staying in a B&B that looked out over the surrounding valley. After chatting with the owners I discovered that their family had once been the ruling family who owned most of the land and my family had been peasants who worked the land. There was only one or two members of my family left in the region as most had emigrated or moved to different parts of Italy long ago.



For more Show and Tell posts, check out the blog list at Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters.

6 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story of your heritage and gorgeous photos. What a treat! Your photo of you and your child is also wonderful.

Kristin said...

What a beautiful location. And how cool that you learned more about your family's history.

AnotherDreamer said...

What a beautiful place. Love the pics. And how cool to learn more about your heritage.

JuliaS said...

Awesome pictures - that first one is gorgeous!

How fun an adventure that would be! Thanks for sharing. :0)

Delenn said...

Cool photos, love the history.

battynurse said...

Beautiful pictures. Sounds like a great trip.